The People’s democratic party has released a press statement attacking the ruling APC over the recent discovery of a Fake results printing press discovered in River state. The printing press was being run by a popular APC chieftain.
Read the statement below;
Rivers Rerun: Discovery of Fake Result Sheets and other Electoral Materials…Confirmation of APC Rigging Machine and Plans to Truncate our Democracy – PDP
1. The recent arrest of Mr. Atonyesia D. Peterside, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State, by the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) and the discovery of his printing press where result sheets and other electoral materials were being printed is evidence of our assertions that the APC has deployed resources to subvert the democratic process and democracy in Nigeria.
2. The Police in a raid on Saturday November 5, 2016 in a printing press located at N0 12, Isiokpo Street, Port Harcourt, Rivers State discovered a large number of printed copies of result sheets for several local governments in Rivers State where the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has slated elections for December 10, 2016.
3. During questioning, Mr. Peterside is recorded as saying that he was detailed to print the electoral materials by Hon. Emmanuel Chinda, former Commissioner for Agriculture during the tenure of Rt. Hon. Rotimi Amaechi – who now serves as Minister of Transport in the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
4. This discovery shows the desperation within the ranks of the APC and the extents to which the party is willing to go to subvert the will of the Nigerian people. It also proves our assertions that the APC rigged the recent election in Edo State and is planning to rig the elections in Ondo and Rivers States.
5. The current situation is a complete reversal of the electoral gains achieved by the previous administration of PDP and a return to the dark days of yore.
6. The discovery also establishes the complicity of INEC as it is impossible for anyone to print result sheets with serial numbers that tally with the authentic result sheets without the involvement of INEC officials.
7. It is very saddening that President Muhammadu Buhari watches as members of his party and his administration destroy and denigrate our democratic and electoral gains especially when one considers that these democratic and electoral gains made it possible for him to win elections and be sworn into office in the first place.
8. We call on President Buhari to order an investigation into this matter and ensure that everyone involved in this dastardly plot to subvert the will of the Nigerian people is brought to book, no matter how highly placed.
9. We also call on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately relieve Rt. Hon. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi of his post as Minister of Transport pending the conclusion of investigations since he has been named by some of the suspects on the fake result sheets matter and also because of his previous attempt to bribe Justices of the Supreme Court to subvert the course of justice in petitions regarding the conduct of the Abia, Akwa Ibom and Rivers gubernatorial elections.
10. Anything less will confirm long held fears in many quarters that President Muhammadu Buhari is himself complicit in these attempts to destroy democracy in Nigeria.
11. We must warn the APC, its leadership on their destructive tendencies and call on them to preserve our democracy having fought for so long to attain the present democratic governance in Nigeria. We should rather improve on the foundation of electoral processes established by the PDP administration instead of working to destroy it. Nigerians will not stand by and watch the APC destroy our democracy.
12. It is imperative to sound the warning that Nigerians will fight as hard as possible and as long as necessary to resist this evil that the APC is hellbent on establishing in our electoral system.
13. May God bless Nigeria.
Prince Dayo Adeyeye
National Publicity Secretary.