Top founding leaders of opposition Peoples Democratic Party on Thursday in Abuja formally defected to the Social Democratic Party (SDP) to serve as a third force in Nigeria’s political space and provide more alternatives to Nigerians in the 2019 general election.
Professor Jerry Gana, Professor Tunde Adeniran, Professor Rufai Alkali, Dr. Mohammed Junaid, Shehu Gabam and other top political forces in the former ruling party said their defection is meant to strengthen democracy in Nigeria.
The new SDP remains under the leadership of former Secretary to the Federal Government, Chief Olu Falae while other leaders were infused into the new National Working Committee of the SDP which includes PDP decampees.
The party says it is a party for restructuring. Prof. Jerry Gana later announced the SDP NWC as follows:
Below is a full list of the party’s national working Committee;
1. Chief Olu Falae, GCON, CFR National Chairman
2. Dr. Abdul Ahmed Isiaq . Deputy National Chairman
3. Hon. Shehu Musa Gabam – National Secretary
4. Sen. Ebenezer Ikeyina – National Vice Chairman
5. Dr. Junaid Muhammed – National Vice Chairman
6. Barrister Supo Sonibare – National Vice Chairman
7. Senator E.B Henshaw – National Vice Chairman
8. To be presented to the press later – National Vice Chairman
9, To be presented to the press later – National Vice Chairman
10. Barrister Joseph Abu – National Legal Adviser
11. Chief Nnamdi Clarkson – National Treasurer
12. Barrister Emeka Atuma – National Organizing Secretary
13. Mr. Adakole ljogi – National Publicity Team
Mr. Akinbode Oluyemi – National Publicity Team
Alh. Alfa Muhammad – National Publicity Team
14. Rt. Hon. Kehinde Ayoola – National Financial Secretary
15. Lady Maggie Maryam Batubo – National Women Leader
16. Comrade Stanley Nwaka – National Youth Leader
Professor Jerry Gana, Chairman, Steering Committee