The Nigerian government has allegedly completed plans to camp down on online newspapers, blogs and social media handles perceived to be against the Buhari-led administration.
According to Tribune, the government is seeking to close down sites that are deemed a ‘National Threat’.
The report stated that the government, through the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC), has engaged the services of a firm in Lagos to block the domain names of “several identified websites threatening national security.”
The Office of the National Security Adviser drew the list of the offensive websites and the number is in excess of 21, a memo written by NCC, a copy of which Sunday Tribune got said.
The letter, which was dated 20th October, 2017, is a reminder memo to the firm, indicating that other letters had earlier been written to the firm by NCC.
The memo was entitled: “Re: Request to Prevent the Commission of an Offence under Section 146 of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.”
The Memo was allegedly signed by NCC’s Head, Legal and Regulatory Services, one Yetunde Akinloye, while an official of the agency co-signed on behalf of Engineer Haru Alhassan who is the Director, New Media and Information Security.
Reference is made to another letter dated 27th September 2017 on the above subject matter, directing the contracted firm “to restrict access to several identified websites threatening national security as identified by the Office of the National Security Adviser.”
Further to the said directive, the said firm “…is hereby required to immediately take steps to restrict access within the Nigerian cyberspace in respect of 21 (twenty-one) additional websites by blocking the domain names. (The list of websites is attached).”
Meanwhile, the minister for communications, Adebayo Shittu has said that he is unaware of the said memo. He added that president Buhari or any of his aides will never support any move to gag the press.