A group of security operatives attached to the Presidential Villa Gate in Abuja on Tuesday harassed and manhandled a former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili.
Ezekwesili had embarked on a solo march to the State House to demand for accountability and end to the violent killings going on in the country.
The protest was brought to a halt at the Presidential villa gate when the security operatives stationed around the gate manhandled her while struggling to retrieve her placard from her. The attempt, which was vehemently resisted by the Minister, led to commotion as the Police kept dragging her.
Journalists covering the melee were not spared, as their phones and cameras were seized by the security operatives.
Speaking during the protest, Ezekweili said;
“I am addressing my message to you as the President and C-in-C of Nigeria. I am addressing my DEMANDS to you as that one individual bestowed with the powers of centralized command and control of our security institutions and personnel to enforce the provisions of Section 14 subsection 2b of the Nigerian Constitution (As amended) which states that ‘the welfare and security of the citizens shall be the primary purpose of the government,'”
Six of the 12 demands she highlighted in her message to the President are:
(1) Putting an end to the endless killings by herdsmen going on in the country
(2) Revealing the identity of the perpetrators of these wanton killings in Benue, Taraba, Kaduna, Zamfara, Plateau, Nasarawa and Kogi states etc
(3) Justice for the victims of violent killings across the country and secure the living in all parts of the country
(4) Ending the ineffectiveness of the security establishment
(5) Ending your loyalty to the Service Chiefs
(6) Stopping the blame game and confusing statements on the killings of the citizens.
Watch the video below;