Governors of the ruling All Progressives Congress are set to meet on Wednesday to plan ahead of the party’s convention.
PoliticsNGR learnt that the meeting is for the governors to agree on candidates for the national working committee of the party. The governors might present a consensus list to President Muhammadu Buhari after their meeting.
All the APC governors have been notified of the meeting. According to the Nation, below is a list of major issues to be discussed at the meeting;
- The zoning formula – whether it should be retained or not;
- Should there be a total overhaul of the NWC, led by outgoing National Chairman John Odigie-Oyegun?
- Won’t it help party cohesion to have a mixed grill of the Oyegun team and new NWC members?
- How to accommodate the New Peoples Democratic Party (nPDP) Caucus to stave off defection;
- The need to have an NWC which can make Buhari’s re-election possible.
- Suitable and acceptable candidates for seven key positions, including eight national chairman, National Secretary, Deputy National Chairman(North); Deputy National Chairman(South); National Organising Secretary, National Publicity Secretary; National Women Leader and National Youth Leader; and averting plot to disqualify some key contestants.
According to a source privy to details of the current happening within the party, the President and some of national leaders, said the source, have opted for ex-Governor Adams Oshiomhole for national chairman.
The source said; “The feelers from the North-East, which is the stronghold of the President, are also not good on the choice of National Secretary. The contestants for the office are the incumbent, Mallam Mai Mala Buni (Yobe); Alhaji Kashim Imam (Borno); Buhari’s ardent supporters, Waziri Bulama; and Dr. Haruna Yerima.
Governor Ibrahim Gaidam is insisting on the retention of Buni but some strategists of the President are opposed to him. As at Sunday, all the North-East governors and APC leaders in Taraba State have built a consensus on Buni based on the persuasion of Gaidam. Members of the Buhari Support Organisation (BSO) and some presidential strategists are pushing for Bulama in order to enable the President to have a firm control of the party ahead of 2019.
If the President does not abide by the choice of the North-East governors, they might pay lip service to his re-election in 2019. What is paining the governors is alleged plot by ex-Governor Modu Ali Sheriff to make his close ally, Kashim Imam, National Secretary. They said Sheriff cannot have his cake and eat it.”