Man accuses Rivers APC of burning his house, fingers ambassadorial nominee

  • Man narrowly escapes death after youths loyal to Oji Ngofa burn down his home

Mr. Udeme Obot, a male resident of Eleme Local Government Area of rivers State by providence narrowly escaped death after an attack on him on Monday, 6th February 2017 at his Aleto, Nchia-Eleme residence.

Before the last attack, Mr. Udeme Obot has been a soft target for series of attack by political assailants belonging to the Eleme LGA chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Several times, he has been attacked prior to the December 10th 2016 legislative rerun elections in Rivers State. These ugly incidents forced Mr. Obot to flee Eleme to Port Harcourt to save his dear life. He took refuge at a hotel in Port Harcourt until normalcy seemed to have returned with the electoral victory of APC in Eleme LGA and Rivers South East senatorial district.

Events turned around for the worst on that fateful Monday when some youths who went out to protest against the policies and activities of Indorama Limited, a petrochemical multinational company, seized the opportunity to carry out political attacks and vendetta on perceived political enemies. Some youths loyal to the leader of the APC in Eleme and a non-career ambassadorial nominee, Hon. Oji Ngofa, invaded the home of Mr. Udeme Okon in what seemed like an assassination mission. As fate would have it, Mr. Okon was not at home at the time of the incident but wasn’t totally lucky as his 9 months pregnant wife was malhandled and locked up before setting the house ablaze. After torching Mr. Okon’s residence, the arsonists left the scene hoping to have successfully roasted Mr. Okon’s wife to ashes, but as luck came her way almost immediately the arsonists took their leave. Neighbours and passers-by dashed into the house and rescued her before rushing her to Atinu Critical Care Hospital where she is currently receiving medical treatment.

Related:   Photos : Magu, Adebayo Shittu,others at the launch of new postage stamps

Mr. Udeme Okon while recounting his ordeal and losses to newsmen fingered Hon. Oji Ngofa to be behind the several attacks on his life due to his divergent political affiliation to the Peoples Democratic Party and his vanguard social media publicity work for the party. He further mentioned on Mr. Benjamin Ngokanya Ngei as been the leader of the group that launched the Monday arsonist attack at his home.

Related:   Economy Recovery Plan: Private sector operators hail stakeholders’ involvement

He said: “APC members threatened to kill me because of my press activities against them. I escaped assassination on the eve of December rerun election. I had complained to my leaders here in Eleme, but they did nothing about it. I stayed in a hotel in Port Harcourt for 4 days until results were announced and they won in my senatorial district before I was free again. Recently, host community youths of Indorama Eleme petrochemicals limited protected to the company demanding for jobs, etc. The same APC boys among them left the company and burned my house down. They met my 9 months pregnant wife at home. They locked her in and set the house ablaze. She is currently been treated at Atinu Critical Care Hospital. The police did nothing about it because, I just gathered they are working according to the orders of hon oji Ngofa, the just screened ambassador and Deputy National Secretary of APC. He is also from the community where I live. The group called concerned stakeholders is led by Benjamin Ngokanya Ngei Job. They vowed to eliminate me. I lost a complete video studio. Cameras and computers. All I have ever had in life. I am just stranded”

Related:   Ajimobi hosts south west governors economic forum

The visibly disturbed and stranded Mr. Okon called on the Rivers State Government, members of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state and well meaning Nigerians to come to his aid and rescue, as he had on countless times reported these incessant threats to his life to the police without any positive response emanating from the security agencies.

After the arson, Mr. Okon has been homeless and has lost his daily means of livelihood to the fire incident which gutted down his entire in-house video recording studio, cameras and sets of computers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *